Wha are the health benefits of bone broth & How to make it
What are the health benefits of bone broth and how to make it
I think our grannies are the BEST nutritionists :)
I remembered that my mom and grandma always kept the leftover bones from chicken, fish, and beef for the broth. I didn’t appreciate the bone broth until I became a nutritionist and realized that the value of bone broth for vital health. Many studies found gelatine, glycine, cartilage, glucosamine, iodine, and other components in bone broth. So you get the idea why your mom fed you a chicken soup when you were sick. Especially collagen in the broth provides many health benefits such as:
- Helps to reduce wrinkles and improve skin condition
- Helps to prevent bone loss ( osteoporosis)
- Boosts metabolism and helps to lose fat
- Helps to detox your liver
- Helps to repair leaky gut and IBS
- Helps to grow strong nails and hairs
- Supports regrowth of joint tissues ( excellent for Osteoarthritis)
- Helps to relieve joint pain ( arthritis)
- Helps to balance your hormones such as insulin, cortisol, DHEA, HGH, testosterone,estrogen, progesterone, and melatonin, etc.
- Supports heathy teeth and gums
- Prevent clogging of the arteries.
- Improve sleep quality
- Helps to build lean muscle mass
How to make Turkey (chicken) bone broth
- Carcass of 1 whole turkey or chicken ( left over bones )
- 1 turkey neck (optional)
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 4 quarts cold filtered water
- 1 large onion ( ends cut off and skin may be left on)
- 3 stalks celery
- 2 carrots
- 1 bundle of parsley, rosemary, and thyme
- Place the turkey in a crockpot.
- Add apple cider vinegar and pour the water to cover the turkey.
- Let stand for 30 minutes.
- Add chopped onion, carrots, celery, rosemary, thyme, and parsley in the crockpot.
- Cook on low heat for 20-24 hours.
- Check occasionally to ensure the turkey remain covered wth water and adding water as needed.
- Removed the bones and veggies then strain the broth through a strainer into a glass jar.
- Cool it to room temperature, then refrigerate for a couple of hours until fat raises to the top.
- if you desire to skin off the fat to use it for your cooking oil. Or you can leave it as it is and drink 1-2 cups daily.
- Store in refrigerator for 5 days. if you want to keep longer, place in the freezer.
Tips: season sea salt, black pepper, and turmeric before drinking!