We will cover;
- Main functions of insulin
- How does imbalance insulin contribute to weight gain
- Insulin resistance; Causes, symptoms, and how to reverse or prevent
Insulin is an anabolic hormone that processes sugar in your bloodstream and carries it into your cell to be used. When you eat carbohydrates, it is broken down to glucose then enters in your bloodstream from your digestive tract. As soon as glucose presents in your bloodstream, the pancreas releases the hormone insulin to take glucose out of the bloodstream;
- To regulate keep your blood sugar balance
- To store glucose as glycogen in the liver and muscle tissue for later use
- To store glucose as fat in the fat cells.
The human body needs about 4 grams of sugar to maintain ideal blood sugar levels between 70 mg/dL to 100 mg/dL.
How much sugar have you consumed today?
The hormone insulin is released in proportion to the amount of sugar in the bloodstream. In other words, more sugar equals more insulin.
How does imbalanced insulin (excess insulin) contribute to weight gain?
- It stores unused glucose as fat
- It blocks the use of stored fat as energy
- It blocks, signals to the brain by interfering with the hormone leptin
- It triggers the hormone dopamine that signals your brain to seek rewards. In result, wanting to eat more food to get pleasure.
You now know that excess insulin (hyperinsulinemia) can make you gain weight.
Top 5 causes of excess insulin
- Carbohydrate rich diet, inadequate protein & fat intake
- Prolonged stress
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Damaged liver
Top 10 symptoms of insulin resistance
- Belly fat
- Fatty liver
- Brain fog
- Acanthosis Nigricans
- Overweight or obese
Top 10 Golden rules to reverse insulin resistance
- No sugar
- Add healthy fat in your diet
- No alcohol to support liver function
- Exercise to boost insulin sensitivities
- Fasting- intermittent fasting, water fasting, bone broth fasting, etc.
- Quality source of protein – avoid conventional meats and dairy products
- Goodnight’s sleep
- Spices – cinnamon, pink salt, turmeric
- Green tea – 2-3 bags daily
- Detoxification – sauna